ii improvise (and sometimes plan) their way to the point where abstract sound, noise, fluttering ambience and whisps of instrumental pop collide.
ii is the preserve of Alex Nosek and Jon Tjhia, collaborators of over seven years, three bands and many spilt drinks. Having established themselves with their experimental guitar tactics and largely improvised, dismantled pop, ii's current methodology adds modular synth processing, rudimentary electronics, computer manipulation and field recording to create full, tactile sound worlds.
Landlakes — the duo's debut album — perfectly captures the breadth of ii's range, as improvisers and meticulous arrangers of sound. The album is out now in Australia through Feral Media (distributed by Fuse Music Group), and has been launched with shows in Tasmania, Victoria, and New South Wales - see here if you need proof!
- Cyclic Defrost
- The Silent Ballet
- Sydney Morning Herald
- The Big Issue (scan coming soon)
- Drum Media (scan coming soon)
- Inpress (scan coming soon)
- Who the bloody hell are they?
- Interplanetary Clubhouse (mp3 blog)
- Everything at once
- Carload of Whatever
- Mess + Noise, by Adam D Mills
- Cyclic Defrost Issue 19, by Eliza Sarlos
- Tape Relay with Leigh Tran (2SER - Sydney)
- Snap, Crackle & Rock with Michaella Solar-March (FBi - Sydney)
- The Sound Lab with Fenella Kernebone (Triple J - Australia)
- Left of the Dial with Jacob Marshall (3PBS - Melbourne)
- Makeshift Swahili with Adrian Ockerby (3PBS - Melbourne)
- Delivery with Owen McKern (3RRR - Melbourne)
- 5th best album of 2008 - Mess+Noise Critics' Poll
- 18th best album and 6th best 'new artist' of 2008 - Mess+Noise Readers' Poll
ii are looking for a friendly label to bring Landlakes beyond Australian shores.
In the meantime, interested ears can order the album online.